Make your own free website on

1/11/03 - Whyte & Mackay East Super League Tayport 1 Bonnyrigg Rose 2

Rose keeper full stretched save this 
B Craik effort 

Rose goal under attack

First of the two sending off's

J Elliot & Allan Ramsey

Look here ref.

Happy with the result.

J Ward no way Through

J Elliot 20 yard effort inches past

Barry McNaughton
 rises for an earlier challenge.

S Christie sends over another.

Ralph rounds keeper for Port goal.

Allan Ramsey Makes his comeback
from injury

This was Tayports fourth home defeat at the Canniepart this season and was full of controversy. As this is an official website restrictions are in place when reporting the main subject areas of the match. Port started strongly and within the opening 90 seconds a Barry McNaughton volley from 22 yards dipped over the Rose keeper and striking the crossbar then over the advertisement boards such was the power of the strike. Port continued to press with Bonnyrigg having their share of attack, forcing  a couple of early corners within the opening 5 minutes. 9 minute gone and referee Colin Brown called a penalty to Rose. Colin. Campbell placed the ball and decided to go left with his shot. Port keeper Fitzpatrick chose to go low to his right, fully stretched he turned the ball clear for a superb penalty save. Rose were looking at a couple of more corners probing the Port defence. 14 minutes and a through ball was seized upon by Ralph Hunter with the Rose keeper very quick off his line. Passing one defender and side passing the approaching keeper Ralph set himself up with a side foot into the open net. 17 minutes and Port had a free kick 23 yards out. With B McNaughton, S Christie and J Elliot deciding on who was taking the kick Rose set up a 5 man wall inside the area. J Elliot  unleased a rocket which skimmed the crossbar. Bonnyrigg started to get stuck into the match getting their 5th corner on the 25 minute mark which was headed clear by J Ward. One minute later a searching ball from the Rose left found John Harvey who struck it well leaving keeper Fitzpatrick well beaten. 1-1 and this match was looking like it was heading for a cracker. 31 minutes and Tayport had a corner from the left. With all the big men looking for the ball in the middle S Christie sent the ball out to J Elliot lurking 25yards out. Elliot struck a cracking right foot shot which went inches past with the Rose keeper stranded and looking on. 3 minutes later and Brian Craik gathered the ball on the right with his back to the goal. Turning and hitting the ball across the goalmouth heading for the inside of the far away upright. Rose keeper Ellison quickly spotted the danger and fully stretched dived to his left tipping the ball away for a corner and an outstanding save. I did say this match looked like it was heading for a cracker but what happened next  changed the complete direction of a fine football match.

Barry McNaughton went in for a challenge with a Rose player. Barry fell to the ground and needed substantial treatment from the Port Physio Norrie Marshall. Tayport received a free kick for the infringement. Even The Fat Controller on Thomas The Tank Engine would have spotted what really happened and he does not have any assistant to help him. He does wear glasses but not sponsored by **********.  Tayport was on a high OFF and on the field and the remaining 4 minutes of the first period saw Grant Paterson given a red card for a tackle from the rear which would have gone yellow on many an occasion. Next up a Sean Christie tackle from the rear which did warrant a red card brought the first period to a fiery end. During the rest period Barry McNaughton was whisked off to hospital with a suspected fractured cheekbone and concussion. Glad to say he was allowed out of hospital at 10-00pm that evening with nothing broken but severe concussion and paper stitches to a nasty face wound. Barry is extremely doubtful for Saturdays cup tie with Wilsons.

Nine man Port opened the second period with great enthusiasm. Within 2 minutes J Elliot from 30 yards let loose a screaming lob over the keeper with the ball falling onto the top of the net. Port looked comfortable and continued to create chances with J Ward hitting the side netting after a corner from the right. Rose again were striking back going very close on 66 minutes and 71 minutes with Frazer Fitzpatrick holding a cracking 30 yard drive and another over the bar from 10 yards. 86 minutes and Port had a great opportunity when J Elliot broke down the right with a through ball to Steven Stewart who sent it across the area to Ben Honeyman who was sent falling to the ground from the resulting tackle with Referee Brown waving play on. Bonnyrigg headed upfield down the left with a through ball into the area. J Ward spotted the danger. The big Port defender made the challenge which was judged by Brown to be a penalty to the amazement of most at the Cainiepart. On a more positive note Allan Ramsey came on during the second period showing his usual great enthusiasm for the game. great to see you back Allan.

Tayport - F Fitzpatrick.  G Paterson, J Ward, B Craik,  S Stewart, R Hunter, J Elliot, S Christie, R Morris, B McNaughton, R Gunnin.  
Subs used G Dailley, A Ramsey, B Honeyman